You may have asked yourself this question if you recently or you still have a mouth sore. These tend to be very irritating or sometimes even painful. These sometimes go away on their own, but if it is a mouth sore lasting more than two weeks, you need to contact Dr. Obiora E. Nkwonta and our professionals here in Seattle, Washington, about what treatment option is best to get rid of this irritating sore. To help determine the right treatment, we need to know what the cause may be, so we will evaluate some causes.
Mouth sore sources may include the following:
– Smoking/chewing tobacco
– Dentures that don’t fit very well
– Braces attached to the teeth rubbing on the gums
– Burns from liquids or food that are too hot
– Sores related to stress
– Your body’s hormones
– Medications, like aspirin, beta-blockers, or sulfa drugs
– Mouth cancer (this is a rare situation)
– Jagged/sharp teeth irritating your gums
– The herpes simplex virus causing cold sores
– Weakened immune system (the result of autoimmune issues or disease)
– Abscesses or infections, such as hand-foot-mouth disease
Some of these more extreme cases need to be immediately looked at by one of our professionals here at Rainier Dental Center here in Seattle, Washington. You need to speak to your doctor who recommended your prescribed medicine to change your medication if needed or if they can. To get the treatment you need, call Dr. Obiora E. Nkwonta at 206.329.1100 for a consultation or appointment to determine what treatment is best for you and your smile today!